The Korean Government Scholarship Program KGSP, is an academic scholarship funded and administered by the National Institute of International Education (NIIED), a branch of the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Korea (South Korea).
The NIIED administers the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) which covers various types of support programs for academic exchanges between the Republic of Korea (South Korea) and international countries. There are two types of software, both of which belong to GKS.
There are various programs for inviting international students to the Republic of Korea (South Korea), all of which belong to the “Global Korea Scholarship (GKS)”. Here are the most important programs:
- Korean Government Scholarships for International Students (KGSPIS)
- Korean Government Scholarships for Study Abroad (KGSPSO)
- Invitation of the Korean government to partner countries
- Korean government support program for foreign exchange students
- Korean government support for self-financed students
- GKS for science and engineering students in ASEAN countries
- Summer GKS for African and Latin American Students
- Korea-Japan Joint Higher Education Student Exchange Program
Nationalities who can apply for the scholarship
United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Djibouti, Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Comoros, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Tunisia, Yemen.
About the KGSP Korean Government Scholarship
The Korean government has provided scholarships to 6,556 international students from 148 countries since 1967, and supports about 2,000 students annually. Applicants can also search for other financial support programs offered through specific universities, institutions, and companies.
To raise awareness about the benefits of studying in Korea to motivate foreign students who would like to study at their own expense by supporting overseas students.
The Korean Government Scholarship aims to strengthen the relations of Korean universities with other countries and governments by giving students opportunities to study.
As the Korean scholarship mentioned on its official website for the Higher Institute of Education, the duration of the scholarship is usually four years for a bachelor’s degree, two years for a master’s degree, and three years for a doctorate.
The most important feature of the Korean scholarship is that students can apply without the language requirement, because the scholarship basically gives a scholarship to study the Korean language for free before starting the study. You will not need to submit Korean language certificates, because you will have an opportunity to learn it, but to apply for a South Korean scholarship for those who wish to study in English, you must submit certificates of knowledge of the English language.
Features of the Korean Government Scholarship 2022
|flight tickets||travel cost|
|Cash on arrival||KRW 200,000 or $175|
|Monthly salary||865 $|
|Medical Insurance||$18 per month|
|Language study costs||KRW 800,000 or $692|
|study fees||$4,325 per semester|
|Award for Excellence in Learning the Korean Language||$90|
|Research support||$190 per semester|
|Graduation thesis printing costs||Between 430 and 700 dollars|
|End of Study Award and Scholarship||$90 one time|
Partner Universities of the Korean Government Scholarship 2022
|university ranking||University Name||City|
|1||Seoul National University||Seoul|
|2||Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)||Daejeon|
|3||Sung Kyunkwan University (SKKU)||Seoul|
|4||Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)||Pohang|
|6||Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)||Ulsan|
|7||Yonsei University (Seoul Campus)||Seoul|
|8||Kyung Hee University||Seoul|
|11||guangzhou institute of science and technology||guangju|
|12||Ewha Women’s University||Seoul|
|17||Chunam National University||guangju|
|17||Kyungpook National University||Daegu|
|17||Busan National University||Busan|
|23||The Catholic University of Korea||Seoul|
|23||Chungbuk National University||Chungju|
|23||National Zhongnan University||Daejeon|
|23||Gyeongsang National University||Jinju|
|23||Hallim University||Choi Siwon|
|23||Incheon National University||Incheon|
|23||Jeju National University||Jeju|
|23||Jeonbuk National University||Jeonju|
|23||Kangwon National University||Choi Siwon|
|23||Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech)||Seoul|
Programs Available in South Korea Scholarship 2022
The Korean Government Scholarship offers the opportunity to study all of the following majors:
- hotel management
- Antiquities and Museums
- international economy
- political economy
- economics and business
- Visual design and effects
- graphic design
- Technology and computer science
- Islamic studies
- Environmental Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Tourism and hotel
- Press and media
- Public Health
- the pharmacy
- Human Medicine
- Human medicine and dentistry
- Veterinary Medicine
- Molecular Medicine
- natural therapy
- social science
- applied Sciences
- Analytical Chemistry
- digital science
- Agricultural Sciences
- Political Science
- Art, music and design
- Design, Visual Communication and Film
- electronic simulation
- Human Resources
- Mechanical engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- electrical engineering
- civil engineering
- All majors
- natural and social sciences scholarships
- medical sciences scholarships
- Military science scholarships
- Aquatics Scholarships
- Scholarships for History of Art and Civilizations
- Nanotechnology Scholarships
- Textile Technology Scholarships
- granting human rights
- Entrepreneurship Scholarships
- dental scholarships
- biology scholarships
- Psychology and Psychiatry Scholarships
- data science scholarships
- space science scholarships
- grant philosophy
- Energy Engineering Scholarships
- chemical engineering scholarships
- Petroleum engineering scholarships
- Software engineering scholarships
- Computer and informatics engineering scholarships
- Metallurgical Engineering and Manufacturing Scholarships
- Communications Engineering
- law and politics
- Danish language
- German language
- French language
- Latin language
- Linguistics and Cultural Studies
Terms and Standards:
- It is possible to apply in any field of study specified in advance by the scholarship at the university
- You must hold a previous degree in line with the requirements of the scholarship program
- Submit the application, fully supported by the required documents and facts
- Delay in submitting the application or lack of documents will cause you to reject the application
- You must meet all the requirements and admission criteria for the institution (university).
- Complete the application for the scholarship in full within the specified dates
- Requirement to have a recognized academic qualification.
- You have the right motivation and motivation to apply
- The applicant for the Korean government scholarship and his parents must be of the same nationality.
- The applicant for the Korean Government Scholarship should be in good mental and physical health
- The age of the student applying for the South Korean Bachelor’s Scholarship is not more than 25 years
- The age of the applicant for master’s and doctoral degrees is not more than 40 years
- The applicant for postgraduate or doctoral studies must have a bachelor’s degree or will obtain it by the time of application
- The applicant’s average in the last educational stage should not be less than 80%
How to Apply for South Korea Scholarship 2022
- The Korea Scholarship Authority invites the Korean embassies in the invited country or the local scholarship partner university to recommend potential candidates.
- The student must contact the South Korean embassy in case he wants to apply through the embassy.
- The student must apply through the official website of the partner university if he wants
- Apply online and select South Korea Scholarship for International Students.
- Applicants must submit all documents related to the scholarship application to the Korean Embassy in their country of residence or the local scholarship partner university.
- The Korean Embassy or the local university sends the suitable candidates to NIIED with the required documents.
- The National Institute of International Education (NIIED) assesses potential candidates and notifies the Korean Embassy of the final selected KGSP scholarship.
Certificates and documents required when applying
The documents differ according to the university that the student will apply to and also according to the study stage, but in general, the common documents are as follows:
- Translate all papers into English.
- A copy of the passport.
- A copy of the secondary certificate for undergraduate students
- A copy of the high school and bachelor’s certificates for master’s students
- A copy of the high school, bachelor’s and master’s certificates for doctoral students.
- Curriculum Vitae(Click here for information and how to prepare a CV)
- letter of intent(Click here for information and how to prepare a letter of intent)
- English Language Certificate(The student must submit an English language certificate if he chooses to study in English).
Application dates for South Korea Scholarship 2022
- Official announcement in September
- Applications start in October and November
- Announcement of results in January
- Travel to South Korea at the end of February
- The official announcement in the month of February
- Applications start in March and April
- Announcement of results in the month of June
- Travel to South Korea at the end of August