About Prince of Songkla University:
In 1962, the Thai government, through the Southern Development Commission, commissioned the Provincial Administration Department to initiate a project to establish a university in Southern Thailand according to the Southern Development Plan. In 1965, the Council of Ministers agreed, in principle, for the main campus of the university to be in Ruesamilae, an urban area in Pattani.
Since the Pattani site is adjacent to the sea, very high humidity and sea water vapor will lead to high maintenance costs for the maintenance of engineering laboratory equipment and engineering teaching facilities. It was agreed to move the College of Engineering to a new location.
After a long search, it was decided that the College of Engineering should be located in Hat Yai District, Songkhla Province. Mrs. Atthakraweesunthorn agreed to donate a plot of land totaling 690 rai (about 276 acres) in Tambun Kurhong, Hat Yai District, Songkhla Province, which was to be used as the new campus of Prince of Songkhla University where the College of Engineering would be located.
In 1968, the National Assembly of Thailand passed the Prince of Songkhla University Act, which became effective on March 13 of that year. Thus, the Prince of Songkhla University declared March 13 as “Foundation Day”. In 1969, construction began on the campus of Hat Yai University. On July 5, 1971, when it was partially completed, about two hundred students and staff from the College of Engineering were transferred to the new campus in Hat Yai.
Prince of Songkla University is always ranked among the top 10 universities in Thailand. The university was ranked 481 globally in 2006 and 525 in 2007 in the QS World University Rankings THES which was 7th and 6th in the list of Thai universities, respectively.
In the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, the university operates as a successful online university. In Thailand, it topped the list of Thai universities for five non-consecutive times in 2008, 2009 and 2011. Prince of Songkhla University is the first Thai university to achieve Top 400 (January 2008), Top 300 (January 2009) and Top 200 (July 2009) of world rankings. In July 2009, the university was ranked 175th in the world, 18th in Asia, and second in Southeast Asia after the National University of Singapore.
About Prince of Songkla University Scholarship:
Prince of Songkla University offers Dental Scholarships for international students to study in Thailand to fund international graduates to support postgraduate programmes.
Nationalities who can apply for the scholarship:
United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Djibouti, Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Comoros, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Tunisia, Yemen.
Terms and qualifications:
- A copy of the passport
- Bachelor’s degree for master’s degree applicants
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees for PhD applicants
- Detection points
- English language proficiency certificate such as IELTS (from here) or TOEFL (from here)
- It is possible to apply in any field of study specified in advance by the scholarship at the university
- The applicant’s age should not be more than what the donor has previously determined (see the Grant Application section).
- You must hold a previous degree in line with the requirements of the scholarship program
- The scholar must be a full-time student with a nonimmigrant ED (study permit) visa. A scholar who enters Thailand on a tourist visa cannot register and his scholarship may be revoked
- Submit the application, supported by the required documents in full
- You must meet all the requirements and admission criteria for the university
- Requirement to have a recognized academic qualification.
- Motivation letter (explanations and samples here)
- Resume (free templates here)
- Recommendation Letters (Information on how to make a Letter of Recommendation)
- Training certificates, if any
Features of Prince of Songkla University Scholarship:
- Tuition fee waiver
- Travel expenses finance
- Accommodation costs
- Assistance in obtaining a student visa
- A monthly stipend will be paid
- You will get other benefits provided by the scholarship administration
- The monthly allowance covers 10,000 baht for housing and living
- Travel expenses to and from home at the beginning and end of the program duration respectively (no more than 15,000 baht, $450 USD)
- Health and accident insurance coverage during the scholarship period in Thailand ($90)
How to apply for the scholarship
- Admission to university first
- After admission to the university, log on to the official website of the scholarship below.
- Create a new account on the official website.
- Fill out the scholarship application data.
- Attach the documents required from you in advance with the application file.
- Send the request to the donor.
- The application fee for the scholarship is 600 Thai baht